McGaw Bioethics Clinical Scholars Program
Our program offers Northwestern University’s McGaw Graduate Medical trainees (residents and fellows) a two-year scholars program that provides advanced training in the theory of bioethics and its application to clinical medicine.
The McGaw Bioethics Scholars Program is a two-year program and is co-sponsored by the Center for Bioethics and Medical Humanities and McGaw Medical Center. Eligible trainees must complete the following curricular components:
- Attend 10 Core Didactics/Workshops
- Attend 12 Specialty Didactics/Workshops
- Complete Asynchronous Learning
- Participate in Practical Experience
- Develop a Portfolio of Completed Works
- Develop a scholarly project
These curricular components have been created to promote the ACGME health competencies across all 6 subcompetencies:
- Patient care
- Medical knowledge
- Practice based learning and improvement
- System based practice, professionalism
- Interpersonal skills and communications
The program components are based on a needs assessment performed by the program leadership and are subject to change based on feedback from participants and mentors.
- Understand the moral, philosophical, and historical basis of bioethics
- Understand the basic principles of bioethics
- Identify ethical features of a clinical encounter and develop critical skills necessary to evaluate ethical claims
- Address ethical challenges and conflicts through defending a particular position on an ethical issue
- Develop awareness of ethical issues that may occur across subspecialties
- Develop a scholarly product that allows the learner to increase their understanding of the ethical challenges in their own subspecialty
Apply to Join
Applications to join the program in Fall 2022 are now being accepted. The application deadline is Monday, July 25, 2022. A letter of support from your program director and some other pre-work is required. Please see the online application for further details.
Non–McGaw trainees, please instead consider the Northwestern Clinical Bioethics Scholars Program.
Important Dates (2022)
- Information sessions: June 16, 2022 at 5pm, and July 18, 2022 at 5pm (Via Zoom—please email Myria Knox to request the link)
- Applications open: June 1, 2022
- Applications close: July 25, 2022
- Decisions communicated: August 14, 2022
- Orientation: Late August, exact date TBA
- First seminar session: Early/mid September, exact date TBA